Monday, April 23, 2007

The Knight of the Red Dragon - Part 1


By Jessica Oswalt
If you really to know, yes, I was the one who started it all. I forced Ben to come to the fair with me and wear the peasant clothes that accurately portrayed what a peasant would wear in the Eleventh Century. Of course, Ben was not thrilled; he does not care for anything old or historical. All he cares about is whether or not a new packet series of Magic cards has come into the stores. I, of course, wanted to impress upon my brother the importance of what has happened in the past; every event sets of a chain reaction that reverberates into today.

At least I thought Ben only cared for Magic cards; I never expected him to drool over all the different weapons and armor with big, bulging eyes. Nor, did I ever expect him to run to that tent. Yes, that tent was weird. I had never seen that shop before. Lady's Magic in bright, gold-laced, red violet letters was splashed across the front.

Ben's eyes bulged out of his head at the sight of the word, magic. "Eve-e! Eve-e! Look! A magic shop!" he said. He grabbed my arm and yanked it so hard that I thought it would no longer be attached to my body. Reluctantly, I followed him inside.

"Oh, wow!" gasped Ben. He walked over to a large, purple, glass ball on a wooden stand.

"Whoa! Hold on a moment!" I said. I grabbed Ben's shoulder. "That could break, and I wouldn't be able to pay for it." Ben groaned and rolled his eyes. I glared at him and he stuck out his tongue.

"Can I help you?" asked a voice. I staggered backwards. Before Ben and I stood a raven-black, curly haired woman with a horribly crooked nose. She was dressed in either a dark blue or purple, flowing gown.

"Oh, we were just-" I started, but before I could say anymore, Ben cut in. "Do you have any magic books?"

"Magic books? Sure, I have one you might like," she said. She smiled and I shivered as chills went up my spine. She pulled out an old, leather-bound book with green and red geometric shapes. I could tell it was very old, and I was instantly drawn to it, with eyes just as large as Ben's.

Carefully and gently, I opened the book, and Ben and I leaned into the book. Inside, I could just barely make out the faint handwriting on the vellum page, and below the handwriting, a large, red dragon was spread across the bottom of the page. I began to read, "Oh, yea who see this/ know yea the red dragon lives./ A knight with might and a light, red gem/ at first light/ brings a new night." I looked back at the writing. "What? That doesn't make sense," I said. I felt a low rumble beneath my feet, and when I looked up, I saw that the tent was shaking violently. Everything around me began to turn into a bright, white light, and I could do nothing but shut my eyes. I heard a loud roar and could feel my body being knocked down by a strong force.

No comments: