Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Knight of the Red Dragon - Part Five - Eve's Side

After riding for a long time - possibly two hours - we, the red knight and I, finally entered into a large clearing in the forest. Straight ahead of us was a wall of timber surrounding a manor house on a hill. "Where are you, you lazy bums! What do I have to do? Bang on the gate door? You should have already seen or heard me coming! Open up! Now!" he yelled.

A man popped up his head and leaned over the wall. "Oh! It's our Lord Richardo de la Rougue!" he yelled, away from the wall. He looked back at us, "Oh, Sire, we shall have the gate open for you in no time." Then he disappeared.

"Darn right, it's me. They should've had that gate open," muttered the knight.

'And I wish I could get away from you,' I thought. 'It would be so easy if I slid off the horse . . . .' But I knew I didn't stand a chance of getting free.

A scrapping noise jarred me from my thoughts, and I looked up. The two door gate was slowly opening. I stopped to look in amazement. 'Are the using pulleys?' I wondered. Within a couple of minutes I had my answer. No; only brute, human strength was moving those doors. Soon the doors opened up enough that one could enter through, riding on a horse, and before I realized what was happening, the knight and I were behind the timber walls.

No comments: